Studying In Canada

As most of Glenbow Colleges programs are more than 6 months, International students intending to start a program with us a study permit. Study Permits are issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)  and you can apply online or visit your local visa application center.

Glenbow College’s Designated Learning Institution (DLI) number is 000000000 (the first character is the letter ‘O’).  It is the responsibility of the students yo to know and understand the International Student Immigration Regulations. For more information, visit the IRCC website.

Applying for a study permit

For more information about study permit applications, visit the IRCC website.

At a minimum, these documents are needed to apply for a study permit:

  • A valid passport (with at least 6 months left before expiry)
  • Acceptance letter from Glenbow College  with DLI number: 000000000
  • Proof of ability to pay for tuition and living costs for you and any family members coming to Canada
  • Applicable Visa processing fee
  • Educational documents (translated and notarized) & English proficiency

Arrival at the airport in Canada

When you arrive at Canadian Customs at the port of entry (eg. Calgary International Airport (YYC)), have the following documents ready:

  • Your passport
  • Study Permit or Letter of Introduction (issued by a Canada Visa Office to confirm that your study permit has been granted)
  • Acceptance letter from Glenbow College and proof of registration
  • Proof of funds to support yourself and family members (if any) during your stay in Canada

You will have to go through customs where a Canadian customs officer will ask you questions about the purpose of your visit and will verify your documents.  Do not leave the airport or border without your study permit. Also, check the information on your study permit is accurate.  It is much easier to correct any errors before entering Canada.

Living in Calgary

The City of Calgary  is the fourth largest city in Canada  with a population of over 1.4 million and the largest city in the province of Alberta. Located at the foothills of legendary Rocky mountains, the city is a fun place to live. Its beautiful location and diverse identity close to mountains attracts residents and visitors from all over the world.

Calgary is highly ranked for its quality of living, cleanliness, and eco-friendliness. It has been consistently ranked among top 10 cities to live in list.  Calgary was recently rated the 5th most liveable city in the world by the Economist Intelligence Unit.

A thriving local economy and diversifying job market make Calgary the ideal place to pursue your education. Glenbow College is located at the core of Calgary Downtown and accessible via all means of public transportation.

Interesting  Facts on Calgary Living:

  • Sunniest city in Canada with an average of 333 days of sunlight annually
  • Host city for the 1988 Winter Olympics
  • Over 1 million visitors attend the Calgary Stampede
  • A shared apartment can be anywhere from $400 – $800/month
  • Groceries are $200 – $400/month
  • A used bicycle is around $50-$100
  • A cup of coffee is $1.50 to $4
  • Lunch at a café/restaurant is $10-20
  • A taxi from the airport to Glenbow College/ Downtown Calgary is about $25

Below are some resources to help with transitioning to life in Alberta and City of Calgary:

Health & Medical Insurance

In general, health care  and medical expenses in Canada or in Alberta can be expensive and a burden for international students. Therefore, all international students are required to obtain health insurance and medical coverage plan while studying in Canada through various means available to them.

Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP)

International students can apply for AHCIP within 3 months of their arrival date  and if they are:

  • Holder of a 12-month study permit associated with an Alberta educational institute and will reside in Alberta for 12 months or more. Students under 18 years of age can only be added to the AHCIP account of a custodian.
  •  If international students are holder of a study permit that is valid for more than 3 months  but less than 12 months, they may be eligible for AHCIP coverage. For requirements visit:


AHCIP Coverage:;

Alberta offers a great and accessible health care system more information on hospitals and access to health and wellness service can be found at

Private Health and Medical Care Insurance

International Students who are not entitled to AHCIP coverage are advised to buy private health Insurance prior to arrival in Canada. In the absence of a health care insurance plan, the student will have to pay on their own to the Hospitals, and Clinics for treatment and consultation, which could be very expensive. Glenbow College does not recommend a particular plan or agent for private health insurance, however can assist in researching available private health insurance companies that would suit the particular needs of a student.


Glenbow College do not provide any on campus or off campus housing. However, there are many accommodation options available for international students within Calgary. Available options are shared rental rooms (furnished and unfurnished), rental houses, basement suites, condos, apartments and homestay. International students are responsible of arranging their own accommodation prior to arrival in Calgary. Resources for locating available housing can be found online such as:

Other than websites, rental rooms and homes are also available through private ads on bulletin boards of Community Centers.

Working in Canada

Work Off Campus

As an international student you will have the opportunity to gain invaluable Canadian work experience and practical job skills if all requirements are met.

International students who are enrolled in full time programs that meet the necessary length requirements may be eligible for off campus work with limitations;

  • Part-time up to 20 hours per week during their studies and
  • Full-time during program vacations and breaks provided they meet the following conditions:
  • Have a valid study permit
  • Are enrolled in full-time study in a Glenbow College’s certificate or diploma program that is at least six months in duration
  • Maintain satisfactory academic standing in their program of study

Important: International students in the programs below are not eligible to work with a study permit:

  • International students enrolled in ESL program
  • International students enrolled in programs that lead to a certificate or diploma but that are less than 6 months long

To learn more about off campus work with study permit, visit the Immigration, Refugee & Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website. If applicable, get information from Immigration, Refugee & Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website about applying for a work permit.

Post-Graduation Work Permit For information about the Post-Graduation Work Permit and eligibility, visit the Immigration, Refugees & Citizenship Canada (IRCC). Similarly, Glenbow College is not licensed/authorized to provide information to students regarding any immigration matters. For such matters refer to IRCC website.